Friday, January 11, 2008

2nd Infantry Rangers

I learned something pretty exciting last week regarding the 2nd Infantry Division during World War II. I came across this rather simple skull patch on eBay. This is a World War II, wool on wool, hand made 2nd Infantry Division Rangers lower sleeve SKULL patch. It measures 2 inches in diameter with no backing. Needless to say, these patches are EXTREMELY rare! The 2nd Infantry Div. selected personnel from their three Infantry Regiments, Artillery, and Division Engineer units to take the Ranger Battle Training Course at Camp McCoy in Wisconsin from April 12, 1943 to June 5, 1943 to complete intensive Ranger training. For those that successfully completed the course they were presented with a certificate and a striking sleeve emblem of a white skull on a black circular background. The insignias had been made by hand by the wives and other women associated with the Division. Wow!!! Something that is personally very neat for me is that I have twice been to what is now called "Fort McCoy" in Wisconsin for World War II reenactments, the last one in October 2005. We stayed in the barracks there and spent a day fighting on the same ground that these 2nd I.D. Rangers actually trained on. It kind of gives me goosebumps just to think about it!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, I just found this site. Congrats! It looks amazing. I'm a reenactor w/ the 38th reg 2nd ID out of South Florida. I now live back home in Indiana, and have plans on starting another indianhead unit. Do you belong to the yahoogroup friends of the 2nd infantry division? I've learned many things from the vets and families. I've also got some more info on the ranger skull. Email me if you want to. sixthofjune44@gmail.com

Paul Koch III
Second To None!

Marc J. Cohen said...

My Dad, Louis I Cohen, was in the 2nd Infantry Division in WW2. I have his uniform with the skull patch on it. I also have photos of him in his uniform with the patch. I live in south Florida too. My email address is panzerfaust1945@comcast.net
Cheers, Marc J. Cohen

Ed Mahan said...

My dad, Eddie W Mahan was one of these Rangers. We have his uniform with the skull sewn of the lower sleeve. He was a sargent and was assigned to protect the enginners D Day morning. He was wounded 3 times in ensuing battles. The 3rd was serious enough to be in an English for almost 1 year.
Dad departed 3 days shy of his 87th year in March 2009.
Dad was a warrior, gentleman, Christian, protector of his family, and man of honor all of his life.
His 3 sons are proud to bear his name.

jay612 said...

My Father Max Emmert also had the same patch on his uniform any more information on ranger patch would be interesting.He took shrapnel around Sainte-Mere-Eglise he was awarded many citation and was a great man of the greatest generation.Anybody that would like to share information or storys I would be very interested

Unknown said...

Marlene from lincoln,ne. Is looking for the skull patch from ww 2, my father was a ranger and the patch got lost please email me at mlsgkaj@gmail.com. Thank you

Broslaurent@gmail.com said...

Il était fabrication artisanale en général fait par les épouse ou les petites amies des soldats qui avaient effectué le stage commando des RANGERS ,