Thursday, June 3, 2010

The 2nd Division in Normandy

As we approach the 66th anniversary of "Operation Overlord" and the D-Day invasion of northern France, I thought I would post an inspiring little collection of photos showing the 2nd Infantry Division during their first few days after the invasion. Be sure to click on each individual photo to see the full sized version. Some of these are amazing in the little details they reveal. The first photo shows a line of 2nd Division soldiers advancing towards Omaha Beach probably sometime on D+1. Note the Indianhead patch on the first and third soldiers from the left.
Here we see a mixed group of both Army and Navy Beach Battalion personnel on Omaha Beach. Look for the Indianhead patches on several of the soldiers' left sleeves.
This is probably the most famous photo of the 2nd Division in World War II as they climb up the bluff overlooking Omaha Beach. Just look at all those men!
This photo show a group of 2nd Division soldiers marching through a town shortly after D-Day. Most of the men are wearing HBTs and still have their gas detection brassards on their right sleeve.
Pfc. Rocco Festa of the 2nd Division Headquarters and Military Police Company works on his French as he waits for a landing craft on June 15th.
A 2nd Division Engineer marks a clearing through a French town in ruins.
A group of 2nd Division medics hook an injured soldier up for a blood transfusion. Notice the small Indianhead insignias on the front of their helmets.
A group photo of the G-3 section somewhere in the hedgerows of Normandy.
A 2nd Division soldier examines a knocked-out tank along the side of the road.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Is there any identification of the soldiers in the third picture from the top? Scuttlebutt has it that the soldier looking at the camera is my 4th grade teacher. Is there a way I could check to see if he was in the 2nd Division.

srsigns.com said...

David, my father was in the 2nd Division, 23rd Infantry, Company D from 1940-1945. Dad passed away in 1995. In 2009 I research a list of soldier buddies Dad kept from a Company D reunion. I was fortunate to locate a John N. Smith from Shertz, Texas. I met with Mr. Smith and spent several hours with him on two different occasions. His mind was sharp as a tack. He knew my Dad and even had photos Dad during the years they were together. They were both sworn in the Army on the same day in Oct 21, 1940, in Houston, Texas. Mr. Smith knows of that photo (your asking about) and remembered looking at a cameraman taking a picture as they march up the hill on Normandy Beach. He said that is him looking at the camera (2nd man marching). Mr. Smith said the guy in front him is Mahoney (also with Company D). From the other photos I have of a young Mr. Smith during that time he looks exactly like the man in the photo. I lost contact with Mr. Smith when he suffered a stroke a few months after I interviewed him. Sad to say I just recently learned Mr. Smith passed away June 4, 2014. If you wish to look further in to this please contact me.

Ray Skaines
www.menofcompanyd.com
ray @ menofcompanyd.com
ray @ minedivision112.com

Unknown said...

My Uncle was in the 2nd division, 23rd infantry co. d 40-45. John P. Brodie. He passed in 2003. I am almost positive that is him in line in the fifth position coming up the hill in the same picture behind the men you have mentioned. Is there any confirmation on the identity of these men? He had a distinct nose that is almost undeniable in that picture.

Unknown said...

my Great Uncle Roberto Esquibel served with the Indianhead patch wearers and was KIA France Aug 14, 1944.

Unknown said...

my Great Uncle Roberto Esquibel served with the Indianhead patch wearers and was KIA France Aug 14, 1944.

Unknown said...

My grandfather was in CO G 23rd infantry 2nd division. I am looking for someone to help me with identifying what some patches and medals signify. Any suggestions? I am new starting out on my research and my grandfather passed away in 2007. I have some stories but wish I had paid more attention back then.

Ricky robbie said...

Ita my grandfather Robert Klein

K Shepherd said...

My husband's father, Ralston A. Shepherd was in the 23rd Infantry Regiment 2nd Infantry Division Company C (I think). He was injured and sent to hospital England in June ??, 1944. He was returned to the states and remained in WVA hospital until discharged in September. He passed away in 1994.

Like many he did not talk about his services. In our minds he was quite the hero, receiving 2 Silver Stars for his acts of heroism. We have some paper copies of his service records but I have tried to find additional. I also tried to order through the NPRC website but unfortunately, his were some that were burned in the fire.

I did find the following on the Lone Sentry regarding his acts of bravery at the Battle of the Hedgerow.
Http://lonesentry.com/gi_stories_booklets/2ndinfantry/

"In the fight for St. Georges d'Elle, Pfc Ralston A. Shepherd, 23rd Inf., saved three companies from mass slaughter. Cornered in an area 30 by 100 yards, with hedgerows skirting both sides, the companies lay in direct line Of fire from a flak gun. Shepherd placed his BAR over a gate post and fired more than 1000 rounds, dispersing the Nazis gun crew before it had the opportunity to go into action. The companies took advantage of the precious time, reorganized and fought their way out of the trap. For his action, Shepherd was awarded the Silver Star."

Would appreciate any info that anyone could share.

Thank you to all that have served out country. KD Shepherd

Megs said...

K Shepherd, you father in law's story is prominently featured in the Official Division history "From D+1 to 105 the story of the 2nd Infantry Division". If you don't have a copy of it already, you should get one. Also look for the official history of the 23rd Infantry Regiment for the war.

Megs said...

What was your school teacher's name?